Thursday, February 9, 2012

Phil Loves Irene and Chris Loves Shannan

My dad was one of those men that taught life lessons through the example he set in his own life. He was a hard worker, laughed off a lot of pain, and he loved his wife. One of the coolest things about growing up in my family was having parents that loved each other. My father not only loved my mom, he was IN LOVE with my mom my entire life.

One day, a teller from our local bank went out of her way to share with me that she had noticed how much my dad loved my mom. She said "I've never met anyone who loves their wife more than Phil loves Irene." The teller relayed a story about how Phil made a special trip to the bank so he could buy a raffle ticket. A raffle ticket for a quilt made by one of the local artisans in Lodi. "Irene would love that quilt" he told the teller with a twinkle in his eye. Did his ticket win? I don't think so, but the fact he made a special trip to the bank to buy a raffle ticket just for the chance of making his wife more happy was a win in my book. That was so neat to hear that about my father. It was really nice of the bank teller lady to tell me that story. It helped me to learn what love was. A true love that a husband should have and share with his wife. A true love that I am fortunate to share with my wife.



So, in honor of my dad and the love he had for my mom I decided I would share my Valentine's Day gift for my wife on this site dedicated to my father's life. My gift is a retelling of our first date. The day I fell in love with my wife.

One Million Kisses

I was nervous. Very nervous. I was experiencing a feeling that I had never felt towards anyone before...I had an idea of what that feeling was, but I wasn't quite sure...was this the feeling I have been longing for?  I also couldn't believe you were driving down to Glen Ellyn, IL to visit me after meeting just the one time.  I could feel my heart sweating.  We were going to have our first date.

I had to prepare.  Even though I was house-sitting for my brother, with its manicured lawn, luscious rose garden near the pool and the gorgeous interior that had been featured in “Midwest Living” magazine, I had made a mess of it.  In a few days I had transformed it into my bachelor pad strewn with pizza boxes, beer cans and clothes thrown on the floor.  I wanted to impress you so I cleaned-up. Not only the house but myself as well.  I decided the clothes I had packed would not do.  I went to the nearest mall and bought for myself a shirt and shorts from one of those “cool stores” that was all the rage with the people that go to malls. The point is – I wanted to impress you.  So much so, that I also sat down at the piano and practiced. I wanted to play well...for you.

My plan was to be playing the piano as you arrived.  Walking up to the door you would hear the music and ask “So, you play the piano?” and I would be dismissive in my answer “Oh that? Music is just one of my loves” or “Oh, yes. It was a good way to pass the time until you arrived.”  But my plan didn't work.  I was too nervous.  I sat at the piano, but couldn't make it through the songs I knew.  I was preoccupied with thoughts of you.  We had that one chance meeting so I was trying to remember exactly what you looked like...how long your hair was, the color of your eyes, how tall you.....DING DONG....You arrived!  I was able to see you through the window next to the door. You were gorgeous. “Why was she coming to visit me, again?”  I said to myself not believing someone so beautiful could be interested in me.  I quickly wiped my palms dry and opened the door.  You were gorgeous!

I tried to be calm.  After saying hello, I remember talking nervously to you “Howwasthedrivedown? Wouldyoulikesomethingtodrink?Doyouneedtousethebathroom?” Dammit - why did I say bathroom! Then I looked into your eyes. Your beautiful hazel eyes that seem to change from an arresting green to warm brown depending on the light of the day. That calmed me. Your eyes let me know that everything was going to be alright.  I saw in your eyes a reflection of who I wanted to be. And at that moment...I wanted to be with you.

A quick tour of the house was steered toward the piano, “Oh, do you play?” you asked, not realizing you have sprung the trap I had set.  “Just a little” I said already seated on the bench ready to play the two love songs I remembered from the 80s/90s.  Starting with Richard Marx's “Right Here Waiting” and going directly into “(Everything I do) I Do It For You” by Bryan Adams, I hoped I was giving an impressive performance. The look on your face was reassuring and I wanted to quickly finish my piano playing so I could concentrate on that “look on your face”.  

That was enough about me.  I wanted to know about you.  We sat down and talked. The whole time I was stealing glances at all of you - noticing your dancer's frame, smooth skin, and those arresting eyes. Your beauty filled the room and I felt compelled to kiss you.  Our conversation ceased. We both knew what was going to happen. We leaned into each other and our lips met.  At once that feeling I was wondering about, that feeling I was longing for before your arrival had been confirmed in my heart.....it was Love.  

There was more to that day – swimming, ordering Papa Saverio's pizza, and more talking, but what I take from that day, what I'll always remember, is that first kiss we shared.  Since that day, that first kiss has turned into a million kisses, that first kiss has led me to truly believe in God, that first kiss has led to Hope.  Back then I thought I was the luckiest guy in the world, now I know I am the most blessed because of that kiss.

That first kiss that has led to a million kisses that will never lead to a last kiss.
I Love You,
-Chris

2 comments: